Ask yourself why you are replacing the line:
- Is your line clean. To clean your lines place in a washing machine on gentle cycle using a mild detergent and then air dry. If it still looks dirty to you- replace the line.
- Is your line no longer holding in the clutch, winch, or cleat like it used to. Before you proceed make sure it is not the holding device. Test the device by inserting the newest piece of line available in the correct diameter and give it a tug on the reverse side.
- If wear, tear, and or chafing has taken its toll on your line, you may have slippage - time to replace your line.
Information to have before before going rope (line/sailing line) shopping:
- Do you prefer color coded lines for recognition? Select a variety of different colors for easy identification
- Do you need shackles spliced into the line? What type? Hard shackles or soft shackles?
- Do you prefer the bitter end of the line whipped or burned?
- Do you know the strength needed for the line you are purchasing?
- Do you know the length of the line you need?
- Do you know the diameter of the line especially if the line is clutch dependent.
- Add 5 feet of line if adding a splice.
Now You are ready to shop for new line.
Tools available for you:
Rope Finding Tool
Technical data such as recommended diameters for sheets and halyards